Adrift in The Artist's Studio

Adrift in The Artist's Studio
"More Color! More Color!"

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Dreams Askance

Down from dreams askance
Like flags whapping in wind
He twists like
Backwards voodoo English

To alight, as a clumsy bird
Might
Atop a square of pale sun
Awakeness the gun
That says
On your feet
Again.



I thought you might enjoy a little poem. Guess where I wrote it?
Also, in case you run into one of those smart-asses who say "Has anyone really read
Finnegans Wake?" you can say: "Yes, Seamus Golihue has!"
Who's excited about
2666? I am. I have the ARC, but I haven't started it yet. While reading The Savage Detectives, I kept saying to myself that I wish I could read this stuff in the original Spanish.
Ah, the excitement of new discovery, and how different we all are. However, plus c'est la meme chose (and here I'm talking about fiction): Writers who write about writers writing.
Is this a prerequisite of literary recognition, or the secret watermark of academic approval? Or is it an artifact of the "write what you know" axiom? Doesn't the author call attention to him/herself in fiction by revealing, e.g. through characters, that he/she is a writer, or has studied writing in a university?
Is this one definition of literary fiction: literature about literature?
Seems to me it would rupture the fabric of time/space somehow. I guess we can blame Cervantes.


4 comments:

JzLaPeche said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JzLaPeche said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JzLaPeche said...

"A plumb-fysted attempt to circumvent all measure of sensibility..." - Jacquez LaPeche

George LaCas said...

I always attempt to circumvent all measure of sensibility, and thus arrive at a higher place, M LaPeche. Care to leave a link?